One definition of adoption is assuming permanent responsibilty and parenthood of a minor, not related to you by blood, through a valid legal process. There quite a few varying categories of adoptions.
The first category is distinguishable by the age related terminology used for the developmental stages from infant to adult.
1. INFANT: adoption takes place prior to, or directly at birth or somtime within the toddler years.
2. WAITING-CHILD: pertains to adopting toddler aged children.
3. OLDER-CHILD: involves children over the age of 2.
4. ADULT: the final stage of “age-related” adoptions. Comprises of one adult adoptig another adult not related by either blood or marriage. Such as a young adult adopting an older adult, age 65 or older.
Another category consists of adoptions occurring within a famiy related by blood or marriage.
1. RELATED CHILD: the child is adopted by someone within their family, such as, but not limited to, an Aunt, Uncle, or Grandparent.
2. STEP CHILD: after a lengthy legal process involving the Termination of Parental Rights of the absent or non-custodial biological parent, the step parent adopts the step child.
The next category, generally labeled as foreign adoption,
1. MILITARY or OVERSEAS: involves a child or children being adopted by a member of the military overseas.
2. INTERNATIONAL: a couple chosen has chosen to adopt a child native to another country.
Two other more frequently occurring types of adoptions are,
1. SPECIAL NEEDS CHILD: the adoption of children with above average medical, mental, etc. needs.
2. FOSTER CHILD: the placement of a child with adults, both educated and qualified to care for the child.
Financial Facts About Adoption.
The financial aspect of adoption is inflenced by a couple of factors. The expense could vary from nothing to being extremely costly, which would rely heavily on the specifications of the contract drawn up between the adoption agency and the adoptive couple. Another factor to consider is which category your adoption will be defined in. For instance if you have chosen INTERNATIONAL, this type is relatively costly, as well as lengthy in procedure.